The Principal UX Researcher shapes experience strategy and direction by providing a deep understanding of our members financial lives, solving ambiguous problems and driving experience and product solutions through research and storytelling. The Principal UX Researcher joins a Community of Practice of UX Researchers and Designers, participating in peer reviews, skills development, and knowledge sharing. Working collaboratively across multiple business units and within the UX Center of Excellence (CoE), the Principal UX Researcher develops and facilitates research studies, mentors junior researchers, and provides industry best practices and research back to the organization. The Principal Researcher works across the organization independently and within cross-functional teams, identifying areas of focus for experience research from primary and secondary research activities to drive the research strategy for the UX CoE.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Provide ongoing mentorship to researchers and designers to develop and encourage their performance and enhance their expertise.
- Collaborate effectively with agile, multi-disciplinary teams to champion user research informed decisions.
- Advocate for Human Centered methodologies.
- Challenge traditional assumptions about UX Design and Research seeking out, inventing, testing and sharing new directions and technologies.
- Conduct collaborative sessions such as experience mapping, design sprints and empathy workshops with various teams of varying degrees of UX knowledge.
- Evaluate and stay current on emerging trends in the industry, bringing best practices back to the team to further develop research capabilities.
- Identify user needs and goals, conduct task and workflow modeling, ethnography and persona development, as well as rapid iterative usability testing, and more formal, in-depth testing.
- Champion user empathy and design thinking to across key stakeholder teams and internal/external partners, and advocate for members and their experience needs.
- Present research findings to product teams and leadership.
- Partner with product developers/engineers, product managers, analytics teams, and other research teams to effectively integrate research best practice.
- Conduct user experience research using generative, formative, and summative research methodologies considering an Agile development framework.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research including member/customer journey mapping, usability tests, user interviews, heuristic evaluations, focus groups, experiments, and surveys.
- Conduct remote UX testing including card sorting, tree testing, online surveys, A/B split testing and remote usability testing.
- Transform complex quantitative and qualitative data from research activities into actionable tasks for design and product teams to more effectively tell the story and advance understanding relative to user needs throughout the experience and/or product lifecycle.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
- Master's degree in Human Centered Design and Engineering, Industrial Design, Interactive Design or Cognitive Science required, or equivalent education and/or experience. PhD preferred.
- Minimum ten years of experience in User Experience Research or as a Human Centered Design practitioner required, with proven experience leading research efforts.
- Demonstrated previous experience in lean and agile work environments required.
- Knowledge of a variety of user research methods and demonstrated understanding of the capabilities and limitations of various research methods required.
- Demonstrated design thinking experience in a wide range of applicable research methods, user interviews, persona development, journey mapping.
- Effective communication skills to disseminate information to the wider organization in a relevant and contextual manner.
- Experience working in financial services industry preferred.
- Experience with Figma, Mural, Medallia, SurveyMonkey, UserTesting.com or similar platforms preferred.
- Ability to take a broad perspective and approach to determining objectives and methodologies to critical assignments.
- Ability to lead early research and discovery activities including usability testing, persona definition, information architecture, and design recommendations.
- Proficient verbal and written skills to effectively communicate and provide customer service required.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.